Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Burn It!



There is more than one way to burn a book.
And the world is full of people running about with lit matches.


Ray Bradbury responds to those people who would censor his book on censorship. Read the whole article.

Long ago in a faraway kingdom, when I was a student teacher, I was given a sanitized version of Tom Sawyer to use with a Junior grade. There were short excerpts of the book, which, in the end, had no resemblance to the novel that I had read and loved as a child. It was porridge, mush, baby food with no substance. It irked me that I was forced to use it but being the student, I followed along. The word "nigger" had been wiped from its pages, along with any of the issues that might be the subject of a good discussion.

I would love to hear from anyone who has also encountered this kind of censorship and what your response to it has been.

No comments: